Wednesday, July 16, 2008

From 1963 -- How Little Has Changed

In June 1963, I was one of the student speakers at the annual commencement of the United Hebrew Schools of Metropolitan Detroit, an afternoon/supplementary school system associated with most of the Conservative synagogues in that area. Below is an English translation of the Hebrew speech I gave on that occasion. I'm stunned by how little has changed in 45 years.

I'm leaving on my first trip to Israel in a couple of weeks. I took out the original index cards, from which I delivered the speech, to show to my current Hebrew teacher, who is in Israel during her summer vacation. It occurred to me that this would be a good way to start my blog, on which I intend to post daily entries leading up to and during my trip.

Translation of Hebrew Commencement Speech
By Sanford Olshansky
United Hebrew Schools of Metropolitan Detroit
June 1963

This year marks 15 years since the restoration of the State of Israel. Although her years are few, her accomplishments are great. The position of Israel in world politics, in the Jewish world and in the world of science is making great progress. The State of Israel has absorbed almost a million and a half Jews and her gates are open wide to every Jew in every place.

The State of Israel awakens in the hearts of all the Jews of the world a feeling of pride and self-respect. The tiny State of Israel is mighty in spirit and serves as a great light to us in the Diaspora and to all of the world. She extends her hand to us and we extend our hands to her. Let us strengthen the connection between us, by the study of Hebrew language and culture.

On this evening of graduation, we haven’t gathered here only to receive diplomas, rather to promise to complete our studies so that we will be able to speak Hebrew and at some time to visit the land. And who knows, perhaps to remain there to help in her building.

I would like to end with the words of the great poet Shimoni:

And although, in spite of everything, that the land of Israel is surrounded by enemies that want to destroy the only democratic stronghold in the Middle East, the wonderful vision of the great prophet Isaiah will be realized there:

“And many nations will go and say: ‘Come let us go up to the mountain of Adonai and to the house of the God of Jacob. And He will teach us of his ways and we will walk in His paths.’ For out of Zion shall go forth the law and the word of Adonai from Jerusalem.” (Isaiah 2:3)

No comments: